About David J. Peterson
David J. Peterson was born in Long Beach, California in 1981. He attended UC Berkeley from 1999 to 2003, and received a B.A. in English and a B.A. in Linguistics. He then attended UC San Diego from 2003 to 2006, where he received an M.A. in Linguistics. He’s been creating languages since 2000, and working on Game of Thrones since 2009. In 2011, he became the alien language and culture consultant for the Syfy original series Defiance. In 2013, he joined the crew of the CW’s Star-Crossed and also Syfy’s Dominion as a language creator, and in 2014 he joined the crew of the CW’s The 100. In 2007, he helped to found the Language Creation Society, of which David has remained a proud member.
David has written or worked on three books. He is the author of Living Language Dothraki, the official guide to the Dothraki language, which you can purchase here. David also created the Væyne Zaanics language for the novel The Zaanics Deceit, written by Nina Post. You can purchase it here. Finally, David’s book The Art of Language Invention is coming September 29th, 2015. It’s a detailed guide to language creation and goes over some of the languages he’s created for television and film, including Dothraki, High Valyrian, Castithan, Irathient, Indojisnen, Sondiv and Shiväisith. You can preorder the book now by going here.
- ArtofLanguageInvention.com (Main Site)
- Dedalvs.com (Conlang Site)
- DavidJPeterson.co (Blogs)
- about.me Profile
Convention/Conference Schedule and Other Appearances
- California College of the Arts, San Francisco, CA, September 29
- Books Inc., Mountain View, CA, September 30
- UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, October 1
- New York Comic Con, New York, NY, October 8-11
- Polyglot Conference, New York, NY, October 10-11
- Book Soup, Los Angeles, CA, October 12
- UC Merced, Merced, CA, October 20