Dothraki: Coming to a Store Near You
Living Language Dothraki is going on sale October 7th! And in addition to that, I will be going around talking about the new book in various parts of the country over the next few months. Mark your calendars, if you happen to live near New York City, LA, the Bay Area, Las Vegas, Denver or Kirksville, Missouri. Here’s the schedule at present (all times local; to be updated fairly frequently as new events are confirmed):
- Truman State University, Kirksville, MO, September 17-18: I’ll be giving two talks hosted by the Linguistics department on September 17th at 4:30 p.m. in the TSU Student Union Building, Georgian Room B, and on September 18th at 7:00 p.m. in Baldwin Hall 176. The former is more linguistics-oriented; the latter more general (though it’s still kind of linguisticky. We’ll see how it goes).
- Seal Beach Wag n’ Walk, Seal Beach, CA, September 27th: I’ll be hosting a booth at the annual Wag n’ Walk, which is a benefit for the Seal Beach Animal Care Center. Come learn your dog’s true Dothraki name!
- October 7th: Living Language Dothraki is on sale at an independent bookstore near you!
- Word Bookstore, Jersey City, NJ, October 8th: I’ll be doing an event and signing at Word in Jersey City at 7:30 p.m. (note: there are two stores, one in Brooklyn and one in Jersey City. Be sure not to confuse the two!).
- Lansdowne Road, New York, NY, October 10th: Living Language is hosting a happy hour at Lansdowne Road where they’ll be giving away prizes for people who want to come and practice their Dothraki. It’s near the NYCC convention center for those who are in the neighborhood for the convention.
- New York Comic Con, New York, NY, October 9-12: I’ll be on two panels on Sunday the 12th: Dothraki 101 at 11:15 a.m. in 1A24 and How A Game of Thrones Changed Fantasy…Or Did It? at 1:15 p.m. in 1A05. The latter panel features some names you may have heard of if you read fantasy, e.g. Patrick Rothfuss, Robin Hobb, Garth Nix, etc. (Totally not kidding. Check it out!)
- Book Soup, Hollywood, CA, October 14: I’ll be doing an event and signing at Book Soup in Hollywood at 7 p.m.
- Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego, CA, October 17: I’ll be doing an event and signing at Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego at 7:30 p.m.
- San Diego Comic Fest, San Diego, CA, October 17-19: I’ll be doing three panels at San Diego Comic Fest this year: “Conlanging: The Art of Language Invention with David J. Peterson” at 2 p.m., Saturday, October 18th; “Dothraki 101 with Language Developer David J. Peterson” at 5 p.m., Saturday, October 18th; and “1984: Warning or Instruction Manual” at noon, Sunday, October 19th. If you’re in the SD area, this is a great local con. Check it out!
- Orange County Public Library, Tustin, CA, October 22nd: I’ll be doing an event and signing at the Tustin library right near my home at 7 p.m.
- Life Is Beautiful Festival, Las Vegas, NV, October 24-26: Panel information coming soon!
- Mission Viejo Public Library, Mission Viejo, CA, October 28th: I’ll be doing an event and signing at the public library in Mission Viejo at 7 p.m.
- Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO, November 10th: I’ll be giving a talk at Colorado College at 7 p.m. (more details to come).
- The Tattered Cover, Highlands Ranch, CO, November 11: I’ll be doing an event and signing at the Tattered Cover in Highlands Ranch at 7 p.m. (Note: Be sure to note the location, as there are several Tattered Cover stores in the Denver area!)
- Books, Inc., Mountain View, CA, November 14: I’ll be doing an event and signing at the Books, Inc. in Mountain View at 7 p.m. (Note: Be sure to note the location, as there are several Books, Inc. stores in the Bay Area!)
- Kepler’s Books, Menlo Park, CA, November 15th: I’ll be a part of a group of other sff authors at Kepler’s Sci-Fi Fantasy Day. It’s going to be from 1-5 p.m. and feature a number of interesting talks and panels. My Dothraki event will be at 2:30 p.m. Please note that this is a ticketed event (tickets are $10 and can be purchased here), but a ticket grants you admission to the entire day’s events.
There are a number of other events I had to leave off because they haven’t been finalized yet, so stay tuned! Doing lots of stuff the next couple months.